The Williams-Miles History of Chemistry Collection
Williams-Miles History of Chemistry Collection, a collection of rare and old chemistry books, opened at Harding University in Searcy, Ark., 1992.
The Williams-Miles History of Chemistry Collection is a National Historic Chemical Landmark, which is located in the Brackett Library of Harding University in Searcy, Arkansas. Harding University is a four-year, Christian, coeducational, liberal arts institution with a School of Nursing and graduate programs in education and religion. The Williams-Miles History of Chemistry Collection was gathered over many years by scholarly searching on limited budgets. The books were purchased, usually one volume at a time, from book dealers all over the United States. The objective was not to acquire rarities, although some are present, but rather to document the progress of chemistry. Emphasis was placed on American chemical imprints published before 1900. Twentieth-century books were not collected systematically, but some unusual works are included. The 2,000 volumes in the collection provide a remarkably complete coverage of 19th-century chemistry. The American Chemical Society designated the Williams-Miles History of Chemistry Collection as a National Historic Chemical Landmark in a ceremony on February 15, 1996 at Harding University in Searcy, Arkansas.
Visit National Historic Chemical Landmarks to read more about this collection of chemistry books.
Excerpted with permission, National Historic Chemical Landmarks Program